New To DesiZip?
  Forgot Password?
Become DESIZIP Agent & Make More Money. Everything For FREE!!!
                                               
Home Classifieds Matrimonial News Jobs Gallery Events Properties Yellow Pages Forum Agents
          Country News  |  State News  |  City News  |  Zip News  |  News By Media  |  News In Picture  |  Search
 
  By Category
 
 
Budget
Cricket
Culture
Entertainment
Health
Money
Others
Politics
Sports
Technology
Travel
Weather
Events
 
  India On Media
 
 
 
BBC
Bloomberg
Reuters
 
Politics News

US Lifts 40-Year Arms Ban to Boost
US Lifts 40-Year Arms Ban to Boost Vietnam Sea Defense
 UNITED STATES OF AMERICA , 3-October-2014  6:23:57 AM
In a decision likely to anger China, the US is partly lifting a 40-year ban on arms sales to former foe Vietnam to help boost defenses in the tense South China Sea.

The historic easing of the ban in place since the end of the Vietnam War in 1975 will only apply to maritime equipment, State Department officials stressed, and comes amid warming ties and as Hanoi makes "modest" improvements to human rights.

"What's driving this is not a sudden desire to transfer military equipment to Vietnam writ large, but a specific need in the region," said one official, highlighting what he called Vietnam's lack of capacity in the disputed waters and America's own national security interests.

"It's useful in trying to deal with the territorial disputes in the South China Sea to bolster the capacity of our friends in the region to maintain a maritime presence in some capacity."

Some 40 percent of the world's seaborne trade passes through the sea which is claimed in part by Vietnam, Taiwan, Brunei and Malaysia, as well as China and the Philippines.

RelatedVladimir Putin Says Islamic State Strikes Require Syria's Consent

President Xi or President xxx? India Let Down By Visit

President Pranab Mukherjee Wraps Up Vietnam Tour

Although the United States has not taken sides in the territorial disputes, it has warned Beijing against "destabilizing actions" amid a series of tense maritime incidents.

Earlier this year, Beijing placed an oil rig in waters also claimed by Vietnam, sparking deadly riots in the Southeast Asian nation.

Secretary of State John Kerry informed his Vietnamese counterpart Pham Binh Min during talks on Thursday of Washington's move to adjust the current policy "to allow the transfer of defense equipment, including lethal defense equipment, for maritime security purposes only," a senior State Department official said.

From : http://www.ndtv.com  

Posted By : Desi

ADVERTISEMENTS

Free offer!!! Become an administrator for your zip home page, "Post" local news (local to your postcode)& pictures, "Post" advertisement banners from local companies. Make Extra money.

 
 
Home  |  Classifieds  |  Matrimonial  |  Yellow Pages  |  Jobs  |  Resumes  |  Events  |  Properties  |  Movies
Forum  |  About Us  |  Contact Us  |  Feedback  |  Help  |  Useful Links |  Advertise With Us  |  Site Map
                  See Terms and Conditions,
                  © 2016-2017 Copyright @ Desizip, All Rights Reserved.