|
|
|
|
|
|
| |
| |
By Category |
 |
|
|
| |
|
| |
| |
India On Media |
 |
|
|
| |
|
| |
|
|
| Others
News |
|
| All accused get life |
| All the accused in the Delhi shootout case have been given life imprisonment
|
| INDIA
, 24-October-2007
10:34:58 AM |
| All the accused in the Delhi shootout case have been given life imprisonment.
Suspended Assistant Commissioner of Police S S Rathi and nine others accused are among those sentenced.
Two civilians were killed in Connaught Place by Delhi Police in 1997 in a fake encounter case.
Rathi and his men were convicted for killing businessmen Jagjit Singh and Pradeep Goel in Connaught place in March, 1997.
The police had all along maintained that it was a case of mistaken identity but last week, the court found them guilty of murder.
Earlier, CBI had sought death penalty for seniors cop Rathi and two other policemen, who, along with seven others were convicted of killing the two men.
Arguing for the CBI, Special Public Prosecutor S K Saxena submitted before Additional Sessions Judge Vinod Kumar that culpability of head constable Mahaveer Singh, constable Kothari Ram, whose bullets had killed the victims, and that of Rathi, (who was heading the team of policemen) fell under the rarest of rare category, warranting capital punishment.
Saxena, however, did not seek death penalty for the remaining seven convicted policemen in the case.
The court had, on October 16, held all the ten policemen including ACP Rathi guilty for gunning down two Haryana-based businessmen Pradeep Goyal and Jagjit Singh on March 31, 1997.
''All the convicted persons were members of a police force and were supposed to be custodians of law and the fact that 34 rounds were fired at the helpless occupants of the car, showed the extreme depravity of their crime,'' the prosecutor said.
Referring to courts' own findings in its 66-page judgement, Saxena said, ''Law does not allow police to kill even a dreaded gangster like Mohd Yaseen.''
The policemen had said they mistook the businessmen for Uttar Pradesh-based dreaded criminal Mohd Yaseen.
The court, on October 16, had held SS Rathi and others guilty of murder, destruction of evidence and conspiracy.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
ADVERTISEMENTS
Free offer!!! Become an administrator for your zip home page, "Post" local news (local to your postcode)& pictures, "Post" advertisement banners from local companies. Make Extra money.
|
 |
 |
|
|
| |
|